The ever-changing and increasingly modern lifestyle of humans impacts our planet’s health. There’s no doubt about that. Fortunately, more people are becoming aware of what climate change is and how they can reduce their carbon footprint. 100% reversing the phenomenon is impossible. Alternatively, each of us can make small changes in lifestyle to contribute to that effort.
5 Strategies To Curb Climate ChangeTo know which areas in your life need modification, you first have to determine your carbon footprint. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), this is the amount of greenhouse gas emissions you produce as a result of your lifestyle or activities. These gases include carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide, among others. There are free online calculators that can help you do so, like the ones from WWF and the United Nations. Once you know your carbon footprint, you can then start evaluating your lifestyle and make a few changes. We came up with a few ways you can help reduce your impact on climate change.
1. Save energy and switch to green powerEnergy production for heating, electricity, transportation, and other related industries accounts for most of the greenhouse gas emissions caused by human activities. Switching to renewable energy providers and fuel-efficient vehicles can significantly reduce carbon emissions. Other ways to save energy:
- Use utility companies that use wind or solar power to generate energy.
- Invest in energy-efficient appliances.
- Turn off lights and appliances when not in use.
- Unplug unused devices from outlets whenever possible.
- Ditch your desktop computer in favor of a laptop device.
- Replace traditional light bulbs with LED lights.
2. Practice and support eco-friendly marketingThere are now companies that provide environmentally friendly products and services, like us here at TuiSpace. Eco-friendly products are those that are made of sustainable or recyclable materials, do not contain toxic components, and do not have excessive packaging. If you are a business owner, practice green marketing. If you are a consumer, support companies that show corporate responsibility through sustainable business practices.
3. Buy less stuff and recycleMoving towards a minimalist lifestyle can be beneficial for the environment. Accumulating inconsumable goods not only eats up your office space but also contributes to more waste. Other ways to do this:
- Use vintage or eco-friendly items.
- Give away or dispose of unused electronics.